Pages

Friday 26 February 2010

Self portrait

I've produced many self-portraits in my time so I thought it would be fun to have a little retrospective and look at my skills through the years.

This wonderful drawing was made in reception class, so I was age 4/5. I hadn't quite grasped the concept of shoulders but I did draw fingers. I also made a good attempted at the check print on my school dress.

A year later and now my arms are coming from the right part of my body, though I have taken a step backwards with the fingers. To be honest, it was probably laziness.

On to year 4 (age 8/9) and I have both fingers and a neck. Definite progress. I've also done away with the spider eyelashes from the previous drawings in favour of a more natural look. Good work younger-me!

I now skip ahead to year 9 (age 13/14) as I seem to have misplaced all of my artwork from middle school. I've moved on from colours pencils to poster paint, and my hair has gone from blonde to brown. I even have ears and eyebrows and a varying pose, though I do miss the beaming smile present in the other drawings.

Year 12 now (age 16/17) and I have my medium of choice; oil paints. This was painted just from observation so it doesn't look like me very much, but it was displayed in the Principal's office for a while so it can't be that bad.
Year 13 (age 17/18) and I achieve a likeness I am happy with by working from a photo, which is the way I have worked since. This was from a whole portraiture project so I was experimenting with different colours and backgrounds.
I painted this in the summer of 2008, for funsies, and I loved painting the hair. I still haven't got eyes quite right though.

This painting is from summer 2009, right before I went to university.

No comments:

Post a Comment