Pages

Tuesday 18 June 2013

Snickerdoodles!

I've already shown you guys the best cookie I ate on my holiday last year.
But I bet you were wondering what my second best cookie of that holiday was.
Well, as you may have guessed by the title of this post; it was a snickerdoodle cookie.
Not only that, it was a snickerdoodle cookie served on the flight home!

That was the first, and prior to this baking session, the only time I'd had a snickerdoodle cookie.
I don't know why it took me so long to try baking them myself.
I googled around for a recipe and lots of them had 'cream of tartar' listed in the ingredients.
I was thinking, 'what is this cream of tartar and why do people want me to put it in my cookies??'
Turns out it's kind of like baking powder or bicarbonate of soda.

So with the cream of tartar purchased and a recipe acquired (this one from Nigella, even though I was a bit put off that cinnamon was listed as 'optional'. It's one of the key ingredients!), I started baking.

A key step to baking snickerdoodles is rolling a ball of batter into a mix of cinnamon and sugar.
Mmmmm cinnamon sugar.
The cookies from the first batch didn't seem to be completely cooked on the bottom and they got a bit stuck on the tray, so I put them back in the oven for a bit longer. This didn't seem to do much, and my Mum wasn't home to ask, 'are these done yet??'. I was cooking solo.
I thought maybe it had something to do with the cinnamon sugar getting on the bottom of the cookies, so for the next batch I made sure not to get the cinnamon sugar on the bottom of the cookie balls.

This seemed to make things worse.
That, or turning to oven up a gas mark to see if that helped.

But whether the cookies ended up whole or in pieces they still tasted delicious, which is what really matters.

Though I'm still left wondering; why are they called snickerdoodles??

No comments:

Post a Comment